Wednesday, July 31, 2013

rebuilding the wall.

I'm home, back in Sioux Center. It's good to be home, but it's also very strange. I've rewritten this paragraph about six times and am just not quite sure what to say yet. So instead I have a few simple thoughts about what God's been reminding me through Nehemiah lately.

Our very first devotion in India started in Nehemiah. I'd never really read Nehemiah and honestly had no idea what it was about. Lydia briefed us and told us that for seven weeks we each had a specific part of the wall to build while in India- God had a plan for each of us. And for our very last devotion we ended our time again in Nehemiah. Just as God called us to India to rebuild a part of the wall, He also called us back to build another part of the wall. This is something I definitely need to remind myself when my heart aches for India and I feel useless in Sioux Center- that God has called me back and there is hurt here too and He is active, alive, and triumphant in the midst of the hurt here as well.

Rereading Nehemiah now that I'm home God keeps teaching me more. In Nehemiah 1, Nehemiah is being burdened and is reminded of God's character and asked Him to act. He's calling upon the goodness of God, and as I'm home I have to continually call on the goodness of God and plea with him to act in the midst of despair. I hurt for the women I met in India, and I won't stop fighting for them. But when the hurt gets overwhelming (and it often does), I have to call on the character of God and be reminded of HIS power and grace just as Nehemiah did in chapter 1. Today I've been reminded of God's power and grace through these song lyrics:
After all You are constant
After all You are only good
After all You are sovereign
Not for a moment will you forsake me
Not for a moment will you forsake me

No comments:

Post a Comment