Tuesday, May 28, 2013

the flood, food, and friends.

   This weekend mom, dad, and myself were able to enjoy some time with Ryan, Ashley, and the kids but got a call that we needed to leave early. Turns out there was quite a bit of rain while we were gone. In fact, it rained so much that our hottub somehow crashed through the walk-out door and into our basement which resulted in four feet of water rushing into our basement. The water went up four feet and needless to say not much was salvageable. My room was pretty much destroyed, but thank the Lord I could save many of my clothes! In the midst of preparing for India this has been a pretty large road bump and given me a few extra worries. During the six hour drive home from Rapid I had thought I had prepared myself, but when I walked in I realized there was absolutely nothing that could have prepared me for what I saw. 
    This flood has been a good reminder that stuff is simply that--stuff. Matthew 6:19-20 “Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal." My stuff is replaceable, but it is still hard to let that go. The hardest part was letting go of many memories, pictures, and some of Case's stuff and seeing all of the hard work my parents have put in over the last four years be destroyed. But throughout this all there have been many blessings- One, praise the Lord I was not home or could have easily been injured or caught in my room. Second, I'm leaving in two weeks, most of my packed things were saved and I can handle an air mattress for those two weeks! Third, we have been  BEYOND blessed by neighbors, church members, family, and friends helping us out through food, cleaning up, prayers, or donations. I do not know what else to say other than THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! This is one of those times that I am so thankful mama taught me to find joy in everything, because no matter what...I am blessed. I serve a God who is good all the time. 


[my room post-water and pre-cleanup]

one of the loads in the dump truck

psssh, who needs a bedroom anyway!

might as well have some fun cleaning up, right?!




No comments:

Post a Comment