Monday, July 27, 2015

Changing Generations.

This past week has been a blur. 
> Get back from India (after 52 hours of travel and a whole lot of tears). 
> Move to a new state. 
> 12 hours later start a new job. 
> Have zero time to process. 

Thankfully, I've finally had a few minutes to slow down and process my three weeks in India. The more I talk to people, the more stories I remember and the more I see our sweet Jesus. I see him in the small moments. I hear him in the laughter. The more I think about our three weeks, the more I realize how many seeds were planted. All we could do was love hard and plant seeds and trust the Lord to do the rest. My heart was definitely at the aftercare center. I love those women so much, but the Lord actually taught me the most through our time at the slum which is where I really struggled. I struggled with feeling useless. I didn't always feel as though I was doing much, and then it hit me like a brick wall- a lot of these kids don't know what love looks like. They know what abuse looks like. They know what alcoholism looks like. They know what idols look like, but love? They haven't necessarily known real, deep, true love. So we got to love on them. We loved on them when they were insane and difficult, and when that meant I had to hold a six year old for three hours. But not only that...but we got the privilege to share Jesus' love with them. We shared Bible stories, and hugs, and shoes to show His love. We prayed and prayed and prayed. And while I didn't necessarily see spiritual fruit in my three weeks, it's my prayer that these kiddos will grow up loving Jesus and that will change the entire community. I pray they'll change generations and generations to come. I pray there won't be abuse or neglect, but love and grace. I pray that someone will visit in five years and see Jesus flooding that place. Because He is faithful, and He is able. 



Our dear [and incredibly talented] teammate, Caroline, wrote this beautiful song that sums up ministry in the slum so well.



The roads been long, the roads been rough
You’ve come along way, but don’t give up.
There’s joy to have and pain to bear,
And I sleep safe while you lie awake scared. [how many nights I lied awake thinking about how grossly privileged I am. My complaints suddenly seem pretty minute.]

But keep your eyes on the sky
For he will come in due time
You’ll be scared tonight, but he’s with you
And he will bring the daylight.

You're not like me, we don’t speak the same
But our different worlds have the same reality
And your smiling face looking up my way,

It screams so loud that “God delights in me!”


But keep your eyes on the sky
For he will come in due time
He’ll make all things right, cause he loves you
And he sees you through the hard times.

You’re sick and sore, you’re bruised and beat,
We can treat the symptoms but that’s not eternity.
It’s our prayer for you, that you grow up strong
chasing God’s own heart, changing generations.

So keep your eyes on the sky,
For he will come in due time.
And keep these words in your mind- Jesus loves you, this I know.
Jesus loves you, for the Bible tells me so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment