Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Visit to the slums.

Today we went to a slum to do medical work and spend time with the children. When I say slum, I really mean it. I thought I had experienced this before, but this was quite overwhelming. Families were living in small shacks made of whatever they could find essentially. Kids and adults alike run around barefoot. Flies swarm you wherever you go. In the midst of this, my sleeping troubles (which thankfully have not been accompanied by much anxiety) seemed quite miniscule. Families of six sleep on a rocky dirt floor and suddenly I felt grossly over privileged. I am also amazed, yet again, by the God we serve. Here are kids with next to nothing with more joy than I can muster most days. I always seek to find joy in ALL circumstances, which is only possible through Christ. But if these were my circumstances, would I be so quick to find joy? Yesterday pain, poverty, and disease stared me in the face, but so did joy, laughter, and the Lord's faithfulness.


No comments:

Post a Comment