Thursday, December 11, 2014

Day 11- Sarah

Since December 1st I have found myself continually walking around campus and seeing more and more people in ties or dresses. Seriously guys, I've been blown away. I secretly think to myself, "Do you just like dressing up or are you participating in Dressember?" Well I had this with Sarah, but since I know her I just asked if she was participating in Dressember...and her response, "Heck yes!" I'm so blessed to attend a college where I walk around and am astounded by the number of people who care and who are challenging themselves to make a difference! We may just be a small college in Northwest Iowa, but we've sure got a lot of people with big hearts who are passionate about justice. The other day I was actually reading about the Eric Garner case and read several articles on trafficking and felt defeated. I was tired of fighting when injustice seems to pop up in another place just after I feel like progress is being made. I was saddened at the world we live in and was scared by the thought of the world my children may one day grow up in. But at the same time I was incredibly encouraged as I thought about the people I see each day walking around campus in a dress or tie. I was encouraged that these people are braving the cold to make a statement and to stand up for the oppressed. In my position as 'Justice Matters Leader' I have the unique opportunity to see people rise up and take a stand against injustice. So while I was defeated, tired, sad, and scared...I was also HOPEFUL. You see, I have this hope that our generation will rise up and end slavery in our lifetime and even more, I have hope in my blessed Savior who LOVES justice (Isaiah 61:8) and promises to fight for us (Exodus 14:14). 

So today- meet Sarah. 

"I often feel like there is no way that I can actually help the women subject to sex trafficking seeing as I am a college student and not out there physically helping them, but wearing dresses for all of December in the Mid-West winter is really making a statement. We are suffering the cold, which is nothing compared to the suffering of the women who are victims to sex trafficking."

"No one can do everything, but everyone can do something."

Fact: Victims of sex trafficking often do not self-identify as victims due to multiple factors such as mistrust, self-blame, and years of abuse. 

No comments:

Post a Comment