Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Day 17- Jessica

Hey! My name is Jess, I am an Elementary Education with a Reading Endorsement major. Today was a major turning point for me in my reasoning to do Dressember. As I was getting ready I was struggling to figure out how I was going to wear my dress differently because lets be honest, it's getting harder and harder to be creative. Well as I was searching through my jewelry box I came across a necklace, the one I am wearing in my photograph. As soon as I held it in my hand, a flash back of memories flooded my mind from the time that I was in Cambodia in 2010 and I got to visit Daughters of Cambodia. Daughters of Cambodia is a rescue house for girls and women who have been involved in sex-trafficking. I was holding a necklace that was given to me from a resident there, a women whose story touched my life at just 15 years old. I remembered how that entire day was so full of emotion and how I could not stop thinking about how lucky I was to have already experienced so much more than she was able to at my age.  Wearing that necklace brought back many, many memories and the idea that I once had to go back to that same place and see the redeeming work that has been done in rescuing women in the past five years. Today I was reminded that I am not just wearing a dress because it would be fun or because everyone else is doing it. Instead I am wearing a dress to be reminded of those who are oppressed and lonely, with hopes through prayer and petition that all Daughters of our One True King may be FREE!

http://daughtersofcambodia.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment