Saturday, December 6, 2014

Day 6- Emily

Day 6 already, folks! Today you get to hear a little of Emily's heart, and trust me- it's beautiful. 


"Hey friends! My name is Emily Culver and I am a junior nursing major here at Northwestern College. It is day 6 of Dressember and I already want to take my dress and throw it across a corn field. I don't wear dresses very often and so to put a dress on everyday and the same one for that matter is a struggle. But here's the cool thing about it, I get to CHOOSE whether to put this dress on or not. Too many women in our world today don't have a choice. It may seem to be an insignificant parallel but I think that it is important. In some ways I feel trapped inside this dress. I feel chained to it. I can't put on sweats when I choose to and I can't criss-cross-apple-sauce my legs anymore. I feel limited. In a very miniscule way I try and parallel this to women who are being enslaved; women who are trapped inside their bodies, inside their situations. They feel as if there is no escape and their future is hopeless. Many of these women have brilliant minds but cannot express them because their bodies are being used and abused. The saddest part about this though, is that most of these women do not know that they are the Beloved bride of Christ. The God of this universe, the one who made caterpillars, stars, and the ocean chooses to love me. He longs for my love, and considers me His. Not only do I get to choose whether to put a dress on, I also have the privilege of knowing this radical, gracious, and undeserving  love. My heart breaks everyday for these women and that is why I am wearing the same dress everyday for the whole month of December; to raise awareness and to do my part in taking a stand because there is no excuse for this injustice."

Still time to join us!https://support.dressemberfoundation.org/fundraise/team?ftid=38529 

No comments:

Post a Comment