Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Day 3- TJ.

Today you get to meet Tyler Janssen, or TJ as most people know him by. Northwestern is unique because we have had guys actually request to participate in Dressember, and therefore our campaign became "Dress(up)ember." Guys are pivotal in the fight of ending modern day slavery and here's what TJ has to say:


"My name is TJ. I go to Northwestern college as a 5th year senior studying Marketing. I was one of the college students that was confused at the topic of "human trafficking." I was curious on how this can be a thing. I was upset on how this could be ignored. I am currently wondering why this is a thing. I am also currently hopeful for this "thing" to be gone forever.
I was sick of letting others do something about this while I easily could be a part of something that can better our world, and I believe in a world where human trafficking doesn't exist. That is why I am fighting for this to end. If I must wear a tie everyday to show I care about the freedom and the dignity of countless women everywhere, then that really isn't too hard to do. 
I want to choose to be part of Dressember, and just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I can't care for the 30 million. I just want people to get out of the unawareness that I was in about the subjugation of women. People need to know. Because only we can end this."

Here's a link to another blog featuring Teej: http://buckeyesimplicity.com/2014/12/03/dressember-a-guy-in-a-tie/ 

Fact: "Over 85% of sex trafficking cases the National Human Trafficking Resource Center received from 2007-2012 dealt with women and girls, leaving almost 15% male and transgender victims." - NHTRC and Polaris Project

No comments:

Post a Comment