Monday, December 1, 2014

Dressember day 1.

Dressember is officially here, folks! Goodbye pants and hello dresses. For the next 31 days, I hope to do a daily profile of different people participating in Dressember. We'll have a short introduction, and a snip-it of why they've chosen to participate. Remember, no one can do everything, but everyone can do something. Dressember is about solidarity. It's about joining forces to make our voices heard and fight for the oppressed. So here are a few of our voices:


   Many of you know me, as this blog is home for me, but I'm Kelsey and I'm participating in Dressember because I believe in freedom for all women. I believe we're called to be a voice for the voiceless. I'm a Jesus follower, justice seeker, and coffee enthusiast. I'm finishing up my senior year at Northwestern, and hope to have those little letters, "RN, BSN" behind my name in six months. I have a heart for the nations, which is what originally gave me such a passion to fight human trafficking.

    In June 2013 I hopped on board a plane to live in Bangalore, India for two months. I worked with an anti-trafficking organization doing prevention work in the slums, cleaning in an HIV hospital, and working in an aftercare center. There, I fell in love with 28 women who had survived the horrific injustices of sex-trafficking. I saw their scars, learned their names, and heard their stories. I saw women, unsure of their own age, who endured greater injustices than I can even fathom. The number of people trafficked globally- 27 million suddenly became so much more real to me. Because for me, some women included in that number are women oh so dear to my heart. They are women who have touched my heart and changed my life. They are strong, joyful, and they are over-comers! So I'm participating in Dressember for these 28 women and the millions of others out there who I haven't met because I believe that each and every one of them is a beloved daughter of the King! By simply wearing a dress for 31 days I hope to shine a light on slavery and raise awareness in order to free women around the world. I have a voice, and this December I am using it. Your voice matters, too, and our voices are louder together. 

Fact for the day:  Human trafficking, as defined by the Trafficking in Persons Report is "The recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage, or slavery."

https://support.dressemberfoundation.org/fundraise/team?ftid=38529

No comments:

Post a Comment