Monday, December 22, 2014

Day 22- Sarah W.

Day 22. This may be our last profile for Dressember, but I am so incredibly thankful for all the people who have participated on Northwestern's campus. I've definitely seen the Lord work through Dressember and I've seen a generation rise up to fight injustice. About 30 people at Northwestern committed to wearing a dress or tie for all 31 days of December, more people participated weekly, and our team has raised $2,623 so far. SO BLESSED. Today you get to meet Sarah Wedel. Sarah's also worked in Bangalore with trafficking survivors and is near and dear to my heart. 

“I will never forget the first time I heard about human trafficking. Shockingly, it was just last year. How could I have gone through my first 19 years of life never hearing about the 30 million slaves in the world today? People can’t fight against what they don’t know is happening. When I found out the truth about human trafficking, it changed me. It moved me to action. This past summer, I had the opportunity to live in Bangalore, India for six weeks to work at a safe house for rescued trafficked women. It was such an incredible blessing to get to know these beautiful women and to see them beginning the process of healing. That’s why I am participating in Dressember. Because awareness comes before action. By me wearing a dress this month, maybe just one more person will join the fight against human trafficking. And one by one, we can change the world. I wear a dress for the women I met in Bangalore. I wear a dress to bring rescue, hope and healing to one more of the 30 million.”

Over half the slaves in the world today reside in India, which is about 14 million

No comments:

Post a Comment