Thursday, December 4, 2014

Day 4- Ashley and Mady

You've learned that men can participate in Dressember and advocate for the oppressed, and today you'll learn kids can too!

"My name’s Ashley Stanislav and my daughter Mady and I are excited to participate in Dressember. I care deeply about the issue of human trafficking but I often find myself feeling a bit stuck when I think about what I can possibly to do make a difference in small town Iowa. Dressember provides a tangible way to actively “do something” about human trafficking. Proverbs 31:8 says to “Speak up for those who can’t speak for themselves, for the rights of all who need an advocate” (CJB).  If by wearing a dress all month long I can help shed some light on such a tragic thing happening in our world and advocate for people who are suffering, then I will happily change up my wardrobe! International Justice Mission is one of my favorite organizations and I love the work they do around the world on so many issues. I’m excited that the money raised through Dressember will help them as they continue to change people’s lives. I chose to have Mady participate in Dressember because I want her to grow up with a heart that is compassionate and empathetic to the world around her. Slavery is a tough issue and she doesn’t need to know everything about it yet, but I think it’s okay for her to know that there are people that aren’t free; families that don’t get to be together and kids like her that don’t get to go to school and play and feel safe because some people think it’s okay to make them do whatever they want. I think right now she’s mainly excited about wearing a dress every day, but I hope that by the end of the month she will be able to tell people why we are doing Dressember and that it will be about more than looking pretty"

Fact: The average age of a trafficking victim is TWELVE years old. - The A21 Campaign

No comments:

Post a Comment