Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Day 9- Mica

Welcome to day 9 of Dressember. As of today, 2,510 registered Dressember advocates have raised $170,144! That's enough to cover 9 IJM lawyers' salaries for a year or to fund 38 IJM rescue missions! Together, we're making a difference in the lives of many! And today you get to meet someone near and dear to my heart- Mica Graves. 

"Hey, my name is Mica. I am participating in Dressember because I am passionate about justice and I believe in being a voice for the voiceless.  I am a senior Psychology and Sociology major at Northwestern, and it was through various classes and conversations that I became passionate about empowering women and women’s rights. Once I learned about sex trafficking and whom it targets, my heart was changed. Dressember is a way for me to advocate for these women who cannot for themselves. I do not love wearing dresses, but it has already been humbling to make myself each day this month. I hope that by putting on a dress each day, I think of the women I am wearing it for daily. For me it is about raising awareness and starting conversations on campus and everywhere about this injustice. Even in the first week, I have been humbled and encouraged by the conversations that have already happened and the awareness that has been raised. This world is a broken place, and if we don’t start to make a difference who will? For me, and everyone else participating, it is bigger than a dress. It is for the women and children who do not have a choice. It is about being their voice."

No comments:

Post a Comment